Grants and Government Loans

Maintenance Work

If you require maintenance on your home such as:

  • Building
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Roofing
  • Plastering
  • Painting/Decorating
  • Tiling
  • Windows/Doors
  • Flooring/Carpets
  • Groundworks  

Then you may be entitled to funding in the form of a grant or loan to help cover the cost. Your local authority can offer different types of help with home repairs and improvements. You do not always have to be the home owner to be eligible for a government grant or loan. As long as the property in question is your current home, or is available for you to live in, your local authority can provide help and assistance. This includes mobile homes and boats.

For more information on what help is available to you, please visit: 


What help is available if you live in rented accommodation?

If you live in rented accommodation, you will need to get your landlord’s permission before you can apply to your local authority for help with home improvements. In certain cases, your landlord is required to carry out the repairs you need. For more information about home improvement in rented accommodation, please click here:


Welsh Government scheme – Houses into Homes

Houses into Homes is a Welsh Government scheme that can provide loans to enable properties to be made fit to sell or to let. For more information about the Welsh Government scheme and to find out how to apply, please visit:


Additional grants for disabled people

If you, or someone that you live with, are disabled, and require an adaptation to your home, you may be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant of up to £30,000 in England and £36,000 in Wales.

For more information on Disabled Facilities Grants, please click here:


Home energy efficiency schemes

If you require help funding the cost of gas central heating or a new boiler, you may be entitled to a grant from the Warm Front Scheme. Qualifying households can receive a grant of up to £6,000 to go towards improvements such as hot water tank insulation and heating.

For more information about the Warm Front Scheme, including who qualifies and how to apply, please click here: